Saturday, May 29, 2010

Right Place, Right Time

Since You are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of Your Name
lead and guide me.
Psalm 31:3
Hello Sisters!

I simply had to take some time and share with you something that happened on Thursday. I wasn't going to, but it ties into so many of my themes for this blog, so I just couldn't resist!

I was coming back home from a meeting, and I suddenly had a craving for something from Checkers... I didn't even know which greasy, horrible burger I wanted, but I knew that I knew that I knew, I wanted those fries! I mean, come on, they have the best fast food fries around!

But as I was driving closer to my home, the Lord began to convict me of my eating habits, and before I knew it I was instead craving my chicken salad sandwich (my friends in meta know the chicken salad I'm talking about...I made it as a snack once). But, I had no chicken, and no red onion (I'm sorry, but it's just not my chicken salad without the red onion), so I went to the supermarket to get my ingredients.

I was driving down the road towards my apartment, and I saw a girl, about my own age, with a neck brace, limping. So I pulled over to ask her if she was ok. Long long story short, she said she had been hit by a car. She was going into shock and she was very disoriented. I tried to offer to make a phone call for her (her cell phone battery was dead and she couldn't even call 911), but she said, no, that it was ok, that she was going to try to go back to the scene of the accident and see if the driver was going to come back.

She turned around and started to walk back to where it all happened, but she didn't make it more than about 30 feet, before she fell on her back, in the grass, and began seizing. I had let her start walking away, but I didn't let her out of my sight. I called 911 and help miraculously came in record time. It looked like she was going to be ok, barring her accident injuries.

I am not trying to show off, and I'm not in the running for a good citizens award. I'm only sharing this story with you, so that I can show how important it is to listen to God's voice. Had I ignored Him, and gone to Checkers instead, I would have taken a completely different route home and I wouldn't have seen this woman. and it was in a more secluded area, and I didn't see anyone else coming out to see her until law enforcement and the paramedics pulled in. Also, because I had stopped to talk to her, she turned around...in a different direction than she was going...she was very near a street, and had she collapsed in the street, who knows what could have happened? All this to say I have no idea how long it would have taken someone else to find her and get her. help.

I haven't gotten out of the house much since losing my job. If I'm out of the house, it's normally for something church- or mom-related. I very rarely leave for any other reason. It was a blessing in my life to have been in the right place and the right time, and I ask that you pray for this young woman. I only caught her first name, which I will also leave private. God know who she is, even if we don't.

I'm not sure how many opportunities I've lost to help others, or to share God's love and truth. The thought breaks my heart, though, because I know I've missed more chances than I should have. But thank God for His grace! Nothing is wasted with Him, and it is still not too late to choose to take the moment we are in (that's right, right now), and obey Him. We cannot change the past, but we can make a decision for our present, and leave our future in His hands. If we trust Him to lead and guide us in His will and love, we simply can't go wrong!

1 comment:

  1. God's providence -- His leading -- His "voice"... it is so very real and it is times like you experienced that serve to give us that great reminder that we all kind of need from time to time ... telling us that He REALLY IS working in our lives in the smallest of details.

    As you've experienced, and related here, that what seemed like a "simple change of plans" on your part turned out to be a major "move" on the chessboard-of-life that He has us on.

    Yes, He is definitely guiding and directing us and most times our decisions can seem mundane and uneventful -- until He graciously reveals just one of them for us (as He did for you a week ago) and pulls the curtains back, so to speak, on the intricate workings of all that that one decision was impacting.

    Things like this are why I no longer get all worked up if glitches and roadblocks and traffic jams (either literal or figurative) occur in my daily life. I look at them now as divine directives, moving me about on His "chessboard of life" -- each move being divinely strategic.

    I got to an appt. yesterday 1/2 early (I was wrong about what time I was due there) so I had all that time to just sit there doing nothing. For me, as busy as I always am, 1/2 hour is MAJOR for me. I was thinking of all the things I "could have" gotten done instead of just sitting there playing on my iPod.

    Then I remembered that who knows... maybe there was an accident waiting to happen for me had I been on those same roads during that half hour I spent in the waiting area of the office...

    You just never know. Maybe there was NOTHING ominous about to happen had I not gotten there early. Maybe God just "gifted me" with a half hour of downtime. Something I never would have given myself.

    No matter -- I'll take his divine providence any day... He sees ever so much further out than I ever will. Who better to have at the helm? :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this amazing story, Alex!!!

    Love,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete